Unfortunately it's a no go so far.
Firstly it just doesn't accept the protocol from the shoutcast server that i'm using: it sends a response with ICY 200 OK rather than HTTP/1.1 200 OK. Because mpeg is a streaming protocol normally players just ignore that and keep going even if they aren't aware of the streaming protocol (which they normally are).
Then I realised it requires ffmpeg 0.10 libraries to function (the same version jjmpeg/head uses, oddly enough - which seems pretty odd for such a new product) - so I pointed to my local build of those and at least got it playing local mp3 files ...
So since I had that going I hacked up a quick proxy server (it's something i wanted to look at anyway wrt android; so the player can extract the current song info from the stream) and after mucking about with some silly bugs I managed to get it to the point of segfaulting. If I save the content of the stream it will play that ok it just seems to have trouble with loading from a network. The proxy server just rewrites the ICY header response to say HTTP/1.1 instead.
I'm using the latest jdk 1.8.0 release candidate as of 12/2/14. I suspect it's a version compatability issue with my ffmpeg build or it could just be a bug in the media code - given it works with local files and particularly since it's using gstreamer: the second would be no surprise to me at all because gstreamer is a pile of shit.
Stack: [0x84dad000,0x855ae000], sp=0x855ad1e4, free space=8192k Native frames: (J=compiled Java code, j=interpreted, Vv=VM code, C=native code) C [libfxplugins.so+0x8d28] cache_has_enough_data+0xc C [libfxplugins.so+0x74b8] progress_buffer_loop+0xbd C [libgstreamer-lite.so+0x6bdd5] gst_task_func+0x203 C [libgstreamer-lite.so+0x6cebd] default_func+0x29 C [libglib-2.0.so.0+0x6c3a1] fileno+0x6c3a1 C [libglib-2.0.so.0+0x69bd0] fileno+0x69bd0 C [libpthread.so.0+0x5e99] abort@@GLIBC_2.0+0x5e99
My proxy code is also totally shit so that's always a possible cause but it shouldn't cause a crash regardless.
Update: The above was on an x86 machine, also tried on an amd64 isa and it did the same. So probably version incompatabilities. Unfortunately those versions (at least) of ffmpeg can be compiled in binary incompatible ways even if the library is the same revision, and if it's been built against ubuntu or debian, well they like to mess around with their packages.
Update 28/2/14: So I thought perhaps it was something to do with the debian mess of using libav instead of ffmpeg. But trying that results in the same crash. I also tried the libavcodec.so.53 that comes with the gst-ffmpeg-0.10.13 package ... but that doesn't include avcodec_open2(). Hmm, so much for version numbers eh.
Also tried ffmpeg 0.8.x and 0.9.x. But they all just crash in the same place.
On my new pc I also tried using the version of 'libavcodec.so.53' that comes with gst-ffmpeg-0.10.13 ... but that 'version 53' of ffmpeg doesn't include libavcodec_open2(). Actually it looks like that is also using libav for fucks sake. Oh, so it seems that it's actually using ffmpeg 0.7.2 instead. How odd.
What were oracle thinking if it is built against libav - a buggy and insecure fork of another project and a version that is well beyond maintenance at that.
I guess I will keep trying different versions and see if one sticks. Pretty fucked up though - libraries have a version for a reason and so what's the point if they don't actually mean anything. Possibly the situation was compounded by the whole libav fork. Or it might just be a bug with gstreamer-lite.
Time passes ...
Ok, so 0.8.x and 0.9.x also provide 'libavcodec.so.53' ... and they all crash in the same place, so quite probably it's just the code in libfxplugins.
Shit, I even tried building openjfx ... but even though it has the source-code for libfxplugins.so ... it doesn't seem to build it and just copies it from the installed jre. It doesn't help that it uses gradle which is both slow and opaque.